Full course description
About Filmmaking in the Classroom
This course introduces teachers to filmmaking as a way to enhance teaching and learning. Participants learn basic skills in storyboarding, video production, and digital citizenship while exploring how filmmaking can be integrated into project-based lessons that engage students in curricula. Participants will gain hands-on experience capturing digital video, using software and mobile apps for video editing, and exploring copyright-friendly media resources and Creative Commons licensing. They will also explore film as a vehicle for storytelling, artistic expression, and demonstrating content mastery. Participants will either create their own film or guide students in creating films to be entered into the UEN Film Festival. They will also create a lesson plan for utilizing filmmaking in the classroom following the SAMR model and TPACK framework.
Credit: 1 USBE or 1 SUU Credit
Course Type: Online
Course Level: Beginner
Cost: Free to Utah Educators
Endorsement Category: Digital Teaching and Learning
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this course participants should be able to:
- Articulate the benefits of filmmaking in teaching and learning. Explore film as a vehicle for storytelling, artistic expression, and demonstration of content mastery. Understand various styles of film, including features, shorts, documentaries, public service announcements, and animations.
- Utilize scripting and storyboarding as ways to ensure a film’s intended message will be clearly conveyed to the audience.
- Capture quality video by considering elements like lighting, camera angles, audio levels.
- Edit video to create an impactful film within an effective time limit. Use online tools to find copyright-friendly digital images and audio to enhance film projects. Generate credits to properly cite all media used in the film.
- Publish, share, and celebrate teacher and student films in a way that makes them accessible to the intended audience. This might include publication on YouTube, uploading to an LMS, and submission to film festivals and contests.
- Create a high-quality lesson plan incorporating filmmaking in order to enhance instruction and achieve student learning outcomes tied to Utah core curriculum standards.
Create a lesson that aligns with Utah Core Learning Objectives for which these filmmaking skills could be utilized. Design a lesson plan to teach the concepts connected to your selected objectives. The lesson plan should include a final project that utilizes filmmaking to show mastery.