Full course description
Preschool and elementary teachers and library media specialists will learn to effectively use the wealth of information resources in Utah’s Online Library to enrich their teaching and students’ learning. The course guides participants through learning about and using the many databases such as newspapers, journals, magazines, encyclopedias, videos, music collections and more.
Credit: 1 USBE or 1 SUU Credit
Course Type: Online
Course Level: Beginner
Cost: Free to Utah Educators
Endorsement Category: UEN Essentials
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this course participants should be able to:
- Increase digital literacy by finding and evaluating information resources available through Utah's Online Library
- Understand citation tools built into databases for the purpose of developing digital citizenship in teaching and learning
- Learn about the different Utah's Online Library partners online resources that are available to teachers and their students by finding unique databases available at the K-12, Public, and Academic Libraries
- Identify a variety of databases that Utah's Online Library has to offer by finding different types of content such as educational games, articles, videos, facts, photos, recipes, and music.
- Integrate Utah's Online Library resources into the classroom by developing a lesson plan that includes content from at least four databases from Utah's Online Library
- Communicate and collaborate with other educators on best use practice of Utah's Online Library
Create a 45-60 minute lesson plan that includes content from at least four databases from the K-12 Utah's Online Library web site that you have learned about during this online class. You may choose your topic and the grade level for this lesson plan.
Policies and Procedures