Full course description
About eMedia: Explore, Create, & Collaborate
This course will provide educators with an opportunity to explore, create, and collaborate within the eMedia community. eMedia is a digital library of educational resources created specifically for Utah educators. Participants will explore digital educational resources, including Open Educational Resources (OER), and practice curation strategies to collaboratively organize resources relevant to desired use. Participants will engage with eMedia tools to effectively identify and evaluate these resources -- utilizing rubrics and quality criteria -- and align them to standards. Participants will discover ways to create and remix quality resources within eMedia by sharing a lesson plan that follows the SAMR model and TPACK framework.
Credit: 1 USBE or 1 SUU Credit
Course Type: Online
Course Level: Beginner
Cost: Free to Utah Educators
Endorsement Category: UEN Essentials
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this course participants should be able to:
- Understand eMedia and OER -- specifically what they are, how to utilize them, and why they are valuable to educators. Understand copyright and fair use of educational resources, including Creative Commons licensing.
- Explore eMedia resources using keyword and advanced searches, collections, and hubs. Understand the variety of resources available in eMedia and curate the resources found to be most useful.
- Evaluate eMedia resources utilizing rubrics, quality criteria, and rating systems.
- Create, remix, and share a variety of resources within the eMedia community using Open Author, web resources, and templates. Ensure that resources are aligned with Utah curriculum standards.
- Collaboratively organize eMedia resources relevant to desired use within eMedia groups. Use eMedia groups for curation, organization, and discussion of resources.
- Share created eMedia resources for peer review and make improvements based on feedback. Develop plans for future eMedia/OER work, including plans for outreach and advocacy.
During the course participants will learn to use the Open Author and web resource tools in eMedia to create and share their own OER (open educational resources) objects. They will then create their own lesson plan using the Open Author creation tool in eMedia. One of your classmates will be assigned to conduct a peer review of the lesson plan created in Module 4. You will also be assigned to review the lesson plan of a classmate. Participants will make revisions to their lesson plans based on peer review.