Full course description
About Escape Boredom with Digital Breakouts
Breakout EDU is an immersive learning experience that brings an escape room into the classroom. In this course, learn how to bring the power of Breakout EDU into the digital environment with digital escape rooms. Examine how escape room games promote the Four Cs (creativity, critical thinking, collaboration, communication) and Social and Emotional Learning as well as many other 21st Century Skills. Explore the Breakout EDU website to find games that are ready to play and learn how to create your own digital games that are tied to the curriculum. Digital escape rooms are great for all ages. This course requires one collaborative Zoom session (1.5 hours).
Credit: 1 USBE or 1 SUU Credit
Course Type: Online
Course Level: Beginner
Cost: Free to Utah Educators
Endorsement Category: Digital Teaching and Learning
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this course participants should be able to:
- Recognize how the Four Cs, SEL, and 21st Century Skills are an integral part of escape room games.
- Evaluate standards-aligned digital escape room games on Breakout EDU
- Use backward design and design thinking principles to create a digital escape room game using Google Slides
- Learn how to use the student design center in Breakout EDU to create a digital escape room clue
- Access resources to help students create their own digital escape room games.
- Implement a digital escape room game in the classroom.
Participants will create a three-clue digital escape room game that can be played in their classroom. They will learn options for delivery of their game including Google Sites, Google Forms, and ThingLink. They will reflect on digital escape room games as a form of engagement and instruction.