Full course description
About Canvas Foundations
In this course, participants will learn to design and deliver an online course using Canvas. This course will guide participants in creating their own course using best practices to set up a visual home page, add engaging content, assess student learning, and communicate effectively using Canvas. The focus of this course is to learn about pedagogical practices with online course design by using the features within Canvas to create a course that will benefit both the teacher and students.
Credit: 1 USBE or 1 SUU Credit
Course Type: Massive Open Online Course - MOOC
Course Level: Beginner
Cost: Free to Utah Educators
Endorsement Category: Online & Blended Learning
Massive Open Online Course (MOOC)
These courses are open-entry/exit with no enrollment cap. All coursework and assignments can be completed at the participants' own pace. There is very limited instructor interaction. This course must be completed by 12/31/2022.
Due to a large number of participants in these courses grading is done on a monthly rotation, usually on the first Monday of each month. It can take an additional week to process the grade through SUU or USBE. Please understand these expectations before registering for this course.
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this course participants should be able to:
- Identify and apply best practices of online teaching and learning by designing a learning unit supported by online components in Canvas
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of accepted instructional design principles by creating a unit of study in Canvas LMS
- Understand how to use Canvas tools and features commonly used to deliver instruction by creating assignments, discussions, and assessments, and use the communication tools built into Canvas
- Applying best practices to organization settings by using modules and optimizing the navigation experience for users.
- Create an engaging home page that has the necessary information for parents and students to navigate and communicate with the instructor.
Participants will create a screencast of their newly created Canvas course. The screencast should be completed in 3 minutes.