Full course description
About Education and Digital Storytelling
This course is designed for K-12 educators interested in learning about digital storytelling. The modules will cover what digital storytelling is, tools for planning and creating digital stories, how to get students involved in storytelling, and how to share those stories with the world.
Credit: 1 USBE or 1 SUU Credit
Course Type: Massive Open Online Course - MOOC
Course Level: Beginner
Cost: Free to Utah Educators
Endorsement Category: Digital Teaching and Learning
Massive Open Online Course (MOOC)
These courses are open-entry/exit with no enrollment cap. All coursework and assignments can be completed at the participant's own pace. There is very limited instructor interaction. This course must be completed by 12/31/2021.
Due to a large number of participants in these courses grading is done on a monthly rotation, usually on the first Monday of each month. It can take an additional week to process the grade through SUU or USBE. Please understand these expectations before registering for this course.
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this course participants should be able to:
- Explain why digital storytelling is a powerful and important tool for the digital learner
- Create a plan utilizing storyboarding tools and have knowledge about a variety of tools available for digital storytelling
- Curate a list of podcasts for students (or fellow educators, or parents of students) to listen for the purpose of learning
- Create a lesson plan for students to utilize digital storytelling as part of the curriculum taught in the current classroom
- Identify the options for publishing student work: websites, blogs, YouTube, social media and consider student privacy
- Reflect on a personal journey as an educator and as a storyteller.
Design a digital storytelling of one of your experiences as an educator. Will include pictures, audio, 8 Steps to Great Digital Storytelling, and be between 3-5 minutes in length.