Full course description
More students are using mobile devices to access content and submit assignments. Designing content for a mobile device makes content accessible when students are ready to learn. This course is designed to provide educators with a mobile learning experience using the Canvas Mobile App. It is to be completed in its entirety on a mobile device (cell phone or tablet) to expose the learner to a truly mobile learning environment. Educators will learn best practices for mobile learning and microlearning and be able to choose what kind of multimedia they would like to consume and curate to create their own mini mobile lesson plans. To complete the course, educators will create their own video or podcast to specifically meet the needs of their students.
Credit: 1 USBE or 1 SUU Credit
Course Type: Massive Open Online Course - MOOC
Course Level: Beginner
Cost: Free to Utah Educators
Endorsement Category: Elective
Massive Open Online Course (MOOC)
These courses are open entry/exit with no enrollment cap. All coursework and assignments can be completed at the participants own pace. There is very limited instructor interaction.
Expected Learning Outcomes
- Define mobile learning and provide examples of how mobile learning can be used in their classroom.
- Maximize their downtime specifically for microlearning.
- Implement best practices in blended and mobile learning.
- Utilize micro and mobile learning to enhance the classroom experience of their students.
- Brainstorm ideas for microlearning in their own classroom.
- Design, develop, and create content specifically to be consumed on mobile devices.
For your final project, you will be designing and creating a piece of micro-learning and/or mobile learning for your students. You've spent the last 5 modules learning and consuming bits of information, now it's time to put it to use. The content you create should be a video, audio recording, or complete unit designed for mobile consumption. It must teach something from the Utah Core Standards.
Policies and Procedures