Full course description
This self-paced 12 week course is designed to meet the needs of teachers who wish to begin teaching online professionally. As a component of USBE's Alternative Routes to Licensure (ARL) online teaching certificate program, it is a rigorous, research-based tour focused on developing and understanding the foundations of online teaching. Participants will complete activities and demonstrate through practice the communication, feedback, and technical skills required to deliver instruction online, and understanding of the roles and responsibilities for teachers and students in an online course, and the ability to both curate and create engaging online assessments.
Credit: 3 USBE or 3 SUU Credits
Course Type: Online
Course Level: Beginner
Cost: Free to Utah Educators
Endorsement Category: Online and Blended Learning
Massive Open Online Course (MOOC)
These courses are open entry/exit with no enrollment cap. All coursework and assignments can be completed at the participants own pace. There is very limited instructor interaction.
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this course participants should be able to:
- Teach and facilitate an online course by utilizing established guidelines of communications and student feedback.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of both teachers and students in an online environment.
- Create and curate digital content for engaging online activities.
- Explore both independent and collaborative online resources.
- Build an online course with clear objectives in a standards based format.
- Incorporate effective online assessments into their online course design.
Create and share a link to your online course. Write a reflection based on what you have learned about teaching online.
Policies and Procedures