Full course description
About Foundations of Instructional Design for School Leaders
This six-week course will focus on developing and demonstrating the competencies that Utah school leaders draw on to create a culture and supportive environment where high-quality instruction will flourish. Focusing on the Foundations of Instructional Design and Pedagogy, this course will deepen participants’ understanding of instructional frameworks & varying modalities of instruction. The course will support leaders to leverage their understanding to plan for implementation in their school, including the observation and coaching of instruction. Participants will also learn about and explore digital tools & content curated by the state to best support their use for teaching and learning. Across the six weeks, leaders will demonstrate understanding through developing a plan that articulates the instructional framework(s) in use at their school and articulates their vision for engaging stakeholders and supporting implementation.
Participants: Principals, Assistant Principals, Executive Directors
Credit: 1 USBE or 1 SUU Credit
Course Type: Online with required 3 virtual sessions (via zoom)
Cost: Free to Utah Educators
Endorsement Category: EdTech Leadership Endorsement
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of instructional design principles and core standards for high-quality digital instruction using research-based models of technology integration (PICRAT, TPACK, SAMR, Triple E, etc.) to engage and support learning aligned with LEA goals.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the elements of UDL (Universal Design for Learning) in lessons to eliminate barriers to learning.
- Demonstrate an understanding of learning modalities for various situations (Face-to-Face, Online, Blended, etc.)
- Support their school in selecting & implementing local education agencies (LEAs) and state-provided (USBE, UEN, STEM Action Center) digital learning tools in the classroom.
- Recognize the integration of UDL or other instructional frameworks into a lesson and support the growth of my staff through coaching and/or providing opportunities to share their learning
- Demonstrate support for their school to engage in reflective practice and data analysis as part of the instructional cycle.
Final Assessment Project
Participants will create a product that communicates their implementation plan based on their current school community that includes the following information from the implementation of a new instructional framework (New Implementation) in their school or an in-use framework that they are reflecting on across the course (Reflective Practice) :
- The framework(s) that you feel would best support HQ Instruction in your school
- An articulation of why you feel this framework is a good fit for your school community (staff, students, etc.)
- How would you share this or have shared this with your school for implementation
- The framework(s) that you are using to support HQ Instruction in your school
- An articulation of why you selected this framework and how it fit into your vision. If you already have a framework that isn’t one of these, how does your framework compare/contrast?
- What worked well in your implementation and what, if anything, would you change?
The product can be in any format that meets the school’s needs and communicates the above information. (video, slides, written plan, podcast, other)
Education Technology Endorsement
Through the completion of the Ed Tech Endorsement for School Leaders, UT leaders will understand the knowledge, skills, and dispositions needed for teachers to implement Utah’s Edtech competencies and will be equipped with the tools needed to create a culture and supportive environment where high-quality instruction will flourish. By earning this competency-based endorsement, leaders will have the opportunity to deepen their knowledge and learn from peers while creating a plan for strengthening their school learning community.
The Full Ed Tech Endorsement for Schools Leaders will require the completion of four online, competency-based courses. Each course will align with one of the Utah Ed Tech Endorsement Competencies Strands for educators as follows:
- Foundation of Instructional Design for School Leaders
- Supporting 21st Century Learners
- Digital Citizenship and Information Literacy
- Professional Growth and Leadership