Full course description
In this course, participants will be introduced to the basics of Canvas and how it can work effectively in a K-5 classroom. Elements of organization, communication, assignments, and grades will be addressed in regards to how this tool can be productively used to blend your classroom and use technology to engage students and increase learning.
Credit: 1 USBE or 1 SUU Credit
Course Type: Flex
Course Level: Beginner
Cost: Free to Utah Educators
Endorsement Category: Online and Blended Learning
Location: Jordan School District Auxiliary Services Building
Address: 7905 S Redwood Rd, West Jordan, UT 84088
Date: Wednesday, July 8th, 2020
Time: 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Experience learning with the best of both worlds, online and in-person. Flex courses allow you to spend one day in the lab and complete the remainder of the course online.
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this course participants should be able to:
- Navigate Canvas, add files, add modules, and create a content page
- Change navigation settings for their students and create a visual homepage
- Utilize Canvas as a communication tool through inbox, calendar, and announcements, and will understand roles (student, teacher, observer, designer, TA, etc.)
- Engage students through online discussion and understand the different ways that students can respond; text, video and audio
- Create an assignment and understand settings and options, attach rubric to assignment and utilize speedgrader
- Adjust quiz settings, create question bank questions and utilize quizzes for elementary age students
Participants will write a 1-2 page reflection about their current method of teaching, how they'd like to implement Canvas into their teaching, and how they may (or may not) have changed their general teaching philosophies after participating in this six week course.
Policies and Procedures