Full course description
About Mobile Photography in the Classroom
This course introduces teachers to the use of mobile devices for digital photography to enhance student learning. Participants learn basic skills in taking and editing digital photos while exploring how digital photography can be integrated into project-based lessons that engage students in curricula. Participants will gain hands-on experience using mobile devices to take digital photos, using software and mobile apps for photo editing, and exploring royalty-free photo resources and Creative Commons licensing. Participants will also create a lesson plan for utilizing photography in the classroom, including an example multimedia project they can use as an exemplar for student work, that follows the SAMR model and TPACK framework.
Credit: 1 USBE or 1 SUU Credit
Course Type: Online
Course Level: Beginner
Cost: Free to Utah Educators
Endorsement Category: Digital Teaching and Learning
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this course participants should be able to:
- Examine mobile devices and their built-in digital cameras. Take high-quality photos to use in an instructional activity. Download, upload, and share digital photo files.
- Explore copyright and Creative Commons licenses and resources. Use online tools to find royalty-free digital images to support classroom instruction and student projects.
- Use mobile and online applications to edit and remix digital images to create memes, signs, and other resources to support classroom instruction.
- Use mobile and online applications to create advanced images, such as 3-D and 360° images, that can be used for virtual field trips and other digital educational experiences.
- Explore online tools and software options for organizing, sharing, and managing a collection of digital images.
- Create a lesson plan and example student project incorporating the capturing, curating, and editing skills learned in order to enhance instruction and achieve student learning outcomes tied to Utah core curriculum standards.
Participants will select a lesson and Utah Core Learning Objective(s) you teach for which these photography skills could be utilized. Design a lesson plan to teach the concepts connected to your selected objectives. The lesson plan should include a final project that utilizes photography to show mastery.